I am passionate about scientific outreach and education. I have previous experience presenting scientific material to both children and adults in the context of school talks, science museum presenting, public science outreach events, and scientific talks. I was previously a regular author for the Astrobites collaboration, which writes daily posts on current astronomy research. If you’d like me to give a talk about something, or if you have an idea for an outreach/teaching project you’d like to collaborate on, please reach out to me by email.
- A universe of pancakes. Astrobites article about Zel’Dovich’s classic 1970 paper on gravitational instability.
- Expanding the cosmology toolbox: studying gravity on all scales. Astrobites article based on two papers.
- How Fuzzy is the Universe?. Astrobites article based on this paper.
- A cosmic footrace: testing the speed(s) of light with FRBs. Astrobites article based on this paper.
- Moving conferences online: tips from the organisers of Cosmology from Home. Astrobites article interviewing the organisers of Cosmology from Home 2021, an entirely online conference.
Outreach talks and livestreams
- Cosmology from Home 2021 Livestreams recapping what’s happened at the conference, and Reddit AMA, livestreamed (YouTube, Haaps) with discussions.
- The Skeleton of Our Universe A public talk to the Newcastle Astronomical Society, delivered virtually over Zoom.
- Live-stream at Cosmology from Home 2020 Several attendants of the Cosmology from Home Conference hosted a Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) and streamed discussions and answers to YouTube.
- Transition project for Maths and Physics: creating sets of notes and exercises to aid incoming maths and physics undergraduates with the transition to university level mathematics and physics.
- PARTNERS summer school
|Winter 2021||Year 1 Dynamics||Newcastle University||Teaching Assistant|
|Winter 2021||Year 2 Statistical Mechanics||Newcastle University||Teaching Assistant|
|Autumn 2020||Year 3 Quantum Mechanics||Newcastle University||Teaching Assistant|
2021 Postgraduate Prize for Achievements in Outreach (Awarded by the School of Mathematics, Statistics, and Physics at Newcastle University)